Don’t see an answer to your question? Email us!

How can I safely dispose of unused/expired medication?
Don’t just throw unused/expired medications in the garbage or into the water system. Here are are locations that can take care of medication disposal: Savco Pharmacy
Located in main lobby
455 O’Connor Dr., Ste. 190, San Jose, CA 95128 (Cross street- Forest Ave.)
(408) 298-6190
Operating hours: Monday – Friday | 8:30 am – 6:00 pm

Valley Health Center (VHC) at Bascom Pharmacy
Located in the front lobby, near the security desk
750 S. Bascom Avenue, Ste. #120, San Jose, CA 95128 (Cross street- Renova Dr.)
(408) 885-2320
Operating hours: Monday – Friday | 9:00 am – 7:00 pm

Valley Specialty Center (VHC) Outpatient Pharmacy
Located in the Valley Specialty Bldg., near the pharmacy
751 S. Bascom Ave., San Jose, CA, 95128 (Cross street- Renova Dr.)
(408) 855-5000
Operating hours: Monday – Sunday (7 days a week) | 9:00 am – 10:00 pm

Valley Health Center at Enborg Lane Pharmacy
Located near the Central Mental Health Bldg., across from reception desk
2221 Enborg Ln., San Jose, CA 95128 (Cross street- S. Bascom Ave.)
(408) 885-4100
Operating hours: Monday – Friday | 8:00 am – 5:00 pm

Valley Health Center (VHC) at Moorpark Pharmacy
Located near the pharmacy
2400 Moorpark Ave., San Jose, CA 95128 (Cross street- Bascom Ave.)
(408) 885-7675
Operating hours: Monday – Sunday (Daily) | 9:00 am – 9:00 pm

What reporting options do I have for illegal/unsafe rental properties?
If there is a property that is rented out in such a way that it causes a nuisance, it may be worth leveraging the County resources to get it addressed if direct conversations have not worked. Please gather as much of the following information as possible for the investigation: Description of any increase in traffic, Time of heaviest traffic, Photos of pick ups or drop offs (taken safely, of course) and any website where rental of the property is advertised. With this information documented, you should reach out to the Zoning Enforcement staff at (408) 299-5770.

What options do I have to report potholes or other road issues?
The challenge with reporting potholes in the road is that you need the location to be documented and know the jurisdiction (City or County).

For Santa Clara County, fill out the online form here.

For the City of San Jose, go online here or call 408-794-1900 (Weekdays 7am to 4pm) or 408-277-8956 (all other times incl weekends/holidays)

What's the best way to report code violations in Santa Clara County?
Check out the handy Code Enforcement Directory! Please note that you may want to have APN handy – look it up here before you call.

What to do if a solicitor or peddler comes to your door and is not wearing or cannot produce on request a Sheriff’s Office issued badge for soliciting?
Report this to the Sheriff ‘s non-emergency number: 311 or 1-408-299-2311
Don’t forget to have a description of the solicitor or peddler: physical attributes, gender, height, clothing, age, distinguishing features, and direction headed after leaving your home.

Report any solicitor who comes to your door before 10 am or after 7pm or one half hour after sunset, which ever comes first.”

A light is out or a sign is damaged on my street, how can I get it fixed?
First, check the pole for a maintenance logo. Most County-maintained street light poles, except wooden poles, have a maintenance logo attached to the pole on the street side, about 6 feet above the ground. A pole number is similarly located and consists of 4 or 5 digits. Wood poles do not have the logo but should have a pole number.

To report a problem with a County-maintained street light, please complete the Street Light Service Request form here –

If the pole number includes a letter as the 2nd or 3rd character, i.e., 1J11 or 12Q112, then it is most likely maintained by the City of San Jose’s Department of Transportation here –

If the street light is on a wooden pole, then it might be maintained by Pacific Gas and Electric (PGE). Report the outage directly to PGE by using the link – The PGE site can help identify whether the pole is maintained by PGE or by a particular city, including contact information.

Who can I report to for mail theft or rifling of mail or packages delivered by the Postal Service?
While reporting  thefts or vandalism to the Sheriff is a good first step, one should also contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service at 1-877-876-2455 (press 5), or to San Jose Postmaster Diana Munoz at 1-408-437-6690.

What are my options for graffiti abatement in the Burbank area?
Here is a link to the CSJ’s anti-grafitti and litter page –

For graffiti, please report 24/7 via one of the following options:

  1. Utilizing the “San Jose Clean” app (iOS, Android)
  2. Emailing with a report
  3. Calling the 24 hour hotline +1-866-249-0543

Abandoned shopping carts - best way to report/remove them?
Option 1: Call the city of San Jose. Since most businesses would be located in San Jose City limits, you can reach out to the San Jose Department of Transportation Dispatch Center – email at, or call (408) 794-1900 weekdays 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM or (408) 277-8956 all other times, including weekends/holidays. For more information on their policies regarding abandoned shopping carts, you can visit the San Jose page here.

Option 2: Shopping Cart Retrieval – West Coast Shopping Cart Service has a contact request form.

What options are available for code enforcement or blight reporting?
For the issues within the City of San Jose, the list of code violations are here. If your concern is listed, you can submit a Request here (Recommend you grab the APN first from here). Please note that for abandoned vehicles, there is a different form to use and can be found here.

For issues within Santa Clara County, you will find a list of code enforcement items and reporting methods listed here.

Vehicles on parked on a public street with expired tags are illegal, how can I report this violation?
The preferred method is to call the Sheriff’s Office non-emergency number: 408-299-2311. Before you call, document the direction of the vehicle on the street and/or address of house car in parked in front of, license plate#, make,model, color.

How can I get large abandoned items left in public areas removed?
If the object is on the street or the curb and is a hazard to vehicles or pedestrians you need to submit a General Service Request at the County Roads and Airport site: Service Requests – Roads & Airports Department – County of Santa Clara.

I live near a zoned business, and they are very loud. What are my options to help get the noise reduced?
This really depends on the jurisdiction – in San Jose, the San Jose Municipal Code Section 10.16.010 states that: ‘No person shall disturb the peace, quiet and comfort of any neighborhood by creating therein any disturbing or unreasonably loud noise.’ This means that any noise that is determined to be ‘unreasonably loud’ may be considered a disturbance by the police who respond based on availability, call volume and relative priority when reported to 311. Due to the nature of this call, it will be low on the priority list.

Another avenue is contacting the San Jose Code Enforcement Department (408-535-7770). Then you can inquire as to the state of the business permit and any conditions regarding hours of operation and loud noises.

And yet another avenue would be the Santa Clara County Mediation Service. This is a free service using mediators to resolve un-neighborly issues like this.

For Valley Medical Center(VMC) neighbors, what options are there for addressing potential medical issues?

If you see a crime being committed, call 9-1-1
If you encounter someone on the street in hospital garb, call VMC Protective Services: (408) 885-5567
If you encounter someone who appears to be experiencing a mental health crisis, call the Mobile Crisis Team (Phone # (408) 885-6100)
If you encounter someone who was discharged from the hospital and is in need of transportation, call the VMC Shift Supervisor: (408) 885-5000
To connect homeless individuals who are living in the VMC area for an extended period of time with services, work with Steve Monte (Office of Supportive Housing):

What assistance options are available for the homeless?
In San Jose, you can email or call 408-975-1440 (M-F, 9am to 5pm). When reporting, please have as much of this information available as possible:
– Closest address or closest cross streets to each location of concern
– State the activity(ies) of concern
– Approximately how many people are at each location?
– Approximately how many structures are at each location?
– What time(s) of day is activity observed? (i.e. what time(s) of day would outreach be likely to find people at each location?
– Please give a contact phone number so outreach can get hold of you if they have questions

For encampments or property along freeways or overpasses, you should also file a report with Caltrans so they are aware of the situation. This can be done online here.